Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Holy Houdini!

Well, as you may have noted in my last post, Drew has figured out his hands. He's constantly pulling and tugging on his oxygen/feeding tubes. I really have to stare at him ALL DAY and swoop down at a second's notice and untangle those teeny but highly efficient fingers from the tubing. It is giving me a complex, not to mention multiple coronaries.

Last night, when I put him to sleep, I swaddled him. I swaddled him tight, to bind his hands so I could rest easy. At 5am, he was still snoozing when I got up to pee.

At 8am I started his feeding pump, and laid back down to sleep (he was asleep as well). About 10 minutes later I heard some grunting. Normal for him, and I don't get him out of bed until he starts fussing, since he usually falls back to sleep til 9am. But even after the noises stopped, I couldn't fall back asleep. So, I put my glasses back on, sat up in bed, and SURPRISE!

While he was still TIGHTLY SWADDLED, he rubbed his face against the side of his Rock and Play until he rubbed off 3 layers of medical tape, and somehow wiggled the feeding tube all of the way out of his stomach, esophagus, and nose. Formula was spilling EVERYWHERE. And when I said "Oh, no, Drew!" ...he looked up at me and started to giggle. Like it was hilarious or something. But his giggle is the BEST sound ever, so how could I not start laughing too?

Mostly, I'm insanely impressed with his face-rubbing Houdini skills.

Put a new one in, and triple taped this one too. Crossing my fingers he doesn't rip it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment