Saturday, May 22, 2010

We have progress!

YAY!

So, Thursday May 20th Drew had his 6week follow up with his pulminologist after being discharged from JHH. We loaded up the car, and headed to Baltimore. I drove, so of course Justin and I started fighting before we even got there. He is such a back seat driver when I know what I'm doing, and he falls asleep when I get lost. LOL.

Anywho, so we got there 5 minutes late after I had gotten all turned around (it wasn't in the main hospital, it was about 4 blocks away). They took us right back to vitals. Drew is 11 pounds and 7oz, and 22.5inches long. He is HUGE! I can't believe how much he is growing!!!

The pulminary fellow (no, not man. Fellow. As in she is doing her fellowship) came back to talk to us. We discussed how he was doing, and our concerns. She asked us about a billion questions, and had me fill out a "1 is none of the time, 5 is all of the time" questionairre about how Drew's condition is effecting my life as his care taker. Then she left the room to go talk to Dr. McGlinchy.

Insert battle royale here. Justin and I don't necessarily see eye to eye on Drew's progress. He has severe asthma (he technically died once from it) and has seen a pulmiologist for years. Ergo, he believes himself quite the expert. But I am home with Drew more, ad see different things. I.e, less episodes during the day (when I am home) and them really only occurring at night (when Justin is there to see them). Hence you can see why he thinks they happen all the time. But, he has taught me some things about breathing to look out for, so all in all, our knowledge combined makes us a good team.

So, Dr. McGlinchy and the fellow came back in (I swear I can't remember her name) to talk to us again. It was decided that we would take Drew off the apnea monitor, as it was alarming even when he was obviously breathing. However, they are changing the settings on his pulse oximeter to alarm at 90 now instead of 80, so it will be much more sensitive. He will remain on a 1/4 liter of oxygen via nasal canula, and of course, on his feeding pump as well. He will go back in August for another sleep study, and they are reviewing his LAST sleep study another time to see if he needs an MRI.

They also decided he has "silent reflux" which means even though he doesn't throw up/spit up, the reflux is still happening. So, we have started him on Zantac. Oh joy.

I am soooooo happy that we are heading in the right direction though! One machine down, and 3 to go! I cannot wait!!!

And on a side note, I am looking up plane tickets now to get Parker up here for the summer! And, today is Justin's, Jason's (his twin), and Isaiah (our nephew's) birthdays. So, a Happy 25th to the olders, and a Happy 1st to the younger! Love you all! Life is good :)

No comments:

Post a Comment