Saturday, April 10, 2010

Whirlwind Part 2

Well, things have been NUTS!

Justin and I were woken up to a phone call Thursday morning from the discharge nurse, asking what time we'd be in. We told her by 11am. Then we got a call from the medical supply company, asking what time we'd be back in VA, so they could drop off our equipment. We said by 4pm. We got up, showered, and went to go pick up our boy!

We got to the hospital, and Justin signed all the discharge paperwork, while I dressed Drew in his dinosaur coming-home outfit. Then we went over infant CPR, and the nurse said "ok, you can leave whenever you are ready! I am going to lunch, so I won't see you again!" YAY! We fed Drew, and were walking out of the room when...

Another nurse came running in, and told us the pediatric team was on their way down to see us, because his orders were changed last minute. WTF?! I pretty much just started crying, because I had a bad feeling. Sure enough, he failed his sleep study AGAIN, so they decided he aso needed to be sent home with an apnea monitor. And they could not get one delivered until Friday. Needless to say, we were both pretty upset.

We had already checked out of RMH, so we drove the long drive back to VA. Without our son. I can't describe the incredible heartbreak I feel every time I have left him. We went to bed, and woke up bright and early Friday to try again.

We got to the hospital, and they confirmed the apnea monitor and oxygen tank were on their way. They would be there by 1pm. 2:30 rolls around, and they are finally brought in. We hooked Drew up, put him in his Spiderman coming-home outfit (hey, the dinosaurs were dirty!) and at 4pm, finally pulled out of the JHH parking lot. With our son!

We got home, and let me tell you - it is a STRUGGLE to carry an infant, an oxygen tank, and an apnea monitor. And now, we get to add feeding pump to that list, because our rep showed up at our house! He brought Drew's feeding pump, enough medical equipment to last forever (ok, a month) and formula!

Oh wait... wrong formula. Way wrong formula. And we are missing a nasal cannula. And our full sized oxygen tank. And our NG tubes. So, he went back to the warehouse, and arrived at 1am (!) with our full sized oxygen tank. And... the wrong formula. And no nasal cannula. And no NG tubes. He said he's be back in the morning.

Well, Drew finally goes down at midnight. And his apnea monitor alarmed every 5-10 minutes throughout the night. I was in a dead panic (and am now dead tired), until 7am, when I realized we put his leads on backwards. Uhm, duh. Its only gone off twice since. ::Whew!::

We still don't have the correct formula. Apparently because its Enfamil 24/cal, its a "special order" so we will have to call the company (and not our rep) directly on Monday. Only, we only have enough formula to last til about 5am Sunday. I guess we will have to give him regular Enfamil from Walmart until Monday.

Well, he just woke up, so I have to run. But my boy is FINALLY home! :) :) :)

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy for you all! I can't wait to meet the lil' guy!

    ReplyDelete