Saturday, April 3, 2010

Here's comes Peter Cottontail...

Drew's follow-up sleep study is tonight! Yay! It should have been on Thursday, but oh well. Hopefuly we still have the results Monday, but I doubt it. His pulse-ox is steady at 99-100 still, so I am thinking all will be well. I am hoping/praying/NEEDING all to be well. And then after tonight he is cleared for oral feedings. How tat will work is he will be given 80ccs (mLs) of formula (more on that in a minute) and 15 minutes to drink it all. If there is an left over after 15 minutes, it will be gavaged (fed through his feeding tube) so he doesn't burn more calories trying to eat than he is actually taking in. Once he can consume his bottles in 15 minutes, he will be cleared to go home (again, assuing he passes the sleep study). And I bet he picks up the bottle like nobody's business! He has been DYING for a paci to suck on :)

Onto my milk - there is none left. I am still on Reglan (prescription to boost prolactin - milk producing hormone), Fenugreek (herbal supplement to increase breast milk), and I am pumping with a $600 hospital grade Ameda pump. Nothing is working. I am drier than you can imagine. And yet, in God's twisted way of working the female body - it HURTS. My boobs are KILLING me. Which according to my LC (lactation consultant) is a good thing, because it means my breats are functioning (capable of producing milk) but that my stress level is counteracting all the other measures. Terrific.

I was cleared to do skin-to-skin finally though. Tomorrow I am going to take one of Justin's button-down work shirts and just cuddle with my boy. He sure does love to be held so I hope this is as successful as I hear.

Also, I have Drew's Easter outfit and basket all ready to go, so I can take to the hospital with me tomorrow. We will wait til Justin is off work to do the basket, but I will put him in his adorable outfit right away. Its white though - I hope he doesn't have any blow-outs!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

5 comments:

  1. He is so stinkin' cute!! I wish you the best of luck with breastfeeding. I had some milk issues as well and fenugreek really helped me (don't you love smelling like maple syrup...ugh! lol). I will say my prayers that he latches! And sometimes, it's just your body that has no response to a pump. I could BF my daughter all day, but when I pumped, barely anything came out. Drove me nuts. I know I'm a stranger, but just wanted you to know you have lots of support out there:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! Unfortunately because of his recessed chin, latching will never be an option. :( Frustrating, but I am still hopeful for a pumping-comeback! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about the breastfeeding issue. :( I know how crushing that is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drew looks like Parkers little brother in this picture! Hugs Erin :-)

    ReplyDelete