Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A whirlwind of a week!!

Not even sure where to begin!

Monday we got a call from the Ronald McDonald House in Baltimore that a room had opened up for us - what a HUGE blessing. So, Justin, Parker and I packed up and moved in. It is a great setup, and such a gift to have this resource available to us.

Tuesday morning Drew went in for his tongue-lip adhesion. It went smoothly, and he was placed in the PICU (Pediatric Intensive Care Unit) to recover. The PICU is slightly less overwhelming than the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit), but at least Drew was alert in the NICU. Right now he is intubated (has a breathing tube down his throat) and is heavily sedated. He will stir/open his eyes... but is high as a freaking kite. Tomorrow they should be able to extubate (remove breathing tube) him, and slowly lessen up his fentanyl (pain med - comparable to but more effective than morphine) until he can just be on regular pain meds like tylenol. At that point they should be able to move him back into the Infant Intermediate Care so he can finish recovering, and complete his next round of testings. With a little luck and a lot of faith, we can be out of Baltimore in about 3 weeks!

Parker will be going back to AR (where his mother lives) this weekend. Its been hard, because he wants to see his brother in the hospital, but thanks to the lingering effects of the Swine Flu, restrictions are still in place. He just doesn't understand. But Drew will be home this summer when Parker comes back and they can hopefully get in some good bonding then.

Oh! I also had my 2 week Post Partum checkup with my midwives on Monday. I am still on lifting restrictions, and limited driving, but I am down 17 pounds, and only 10 away from my pre-baby weight!

Here is my little boy - right after his surgery :(
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

1 comment:

  1. Hey Erin,

    I have all of you in my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there . . . I know this is tough. Ronda is keeping me posted. Once the mayhem settles down, I hope to have an opportunity to meet Drew sooner rather than later. Love always, Susan

    ReplyDelete